Fabric Pilling Resistance Test
Marks & Spencer: Method of Test:
PILLING – METHOD – I
PURPOSE: To assure the assistance of woven shirting and sheeting fabrics to pilling.
APPARATUS: 1.Martindale Abrasion machine (see Equipment Index).
2.Felt (See note 1 and 2 and equipment ../default Ref 13D)
3.Polyester foam (See note 2 and equipment ../default 13E)
Avoid fabric within 50 mm of the selvedge. Take a specimen of sufficient size to cut four150mm squares and four circles 38mm diameter. Wash as described in Method of Test P16 “Washing prior to Pilling Methods I & II)
1.Place one test specimen circle face down in the base of each sample holder. Cover each specimen with a circle of polyester foam 38mm in diameter (see note 2). Place on top of the foam the interior metal specimen support and assemble the top and base of the specimen.
2. Place a 150 mm circle/square of felt on each of the base plates ( see note 1).
3. Place one 150 mm square of the washed fabric over each of the squares of felt. Ensure the fabric has an even tension by using the tensioning weight ( provided with the machine). Secure the fabric in position with the retaining frame and remove the tensioning weight.
4. Secure four specimen holders on the top plate using the metal spindles so that the fabric face of each of the specimen is in contact with the fabric on its respective base plate. DO NOT USE ADDITIONAL WEIGHTS.
5. Run the machine for
a. Men's and boys shirting's 100 Revolutions
b. Sheeting 400 Revolutions
Mount the four test samples on card against unwashed fabric and view on the Pilliscope comparing against Marks & Spencer Photographs standard copy.
Report the average of the four results to the nearest ½ grade.
1. Felt used in the test should be of mass per unit area 576+/- 50 grams/metre2 and 3 +/- 0.5m.m thick. The felt should be renewed after every 100 hours of test or if it’s found to be too much soiled. The felt should be retensioned for every 5000 revolutions during the running period.
2. Use white polyester foam complying with the following specification as determined by BS4443 for flexible Cellular foams:-
density 29.31 kg/m2
indentation hardness 170-120N
thickness 3+/- 1 mm
The foam should be stored in the dark. A new foam piece should be used for each test.